Re: Compat 32-bit syscall entry from 64-bit task!?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jan 18 2012 - 14:48:18 EST

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It can securely enable syscall auditing which can catch all syscalls
> (however you only get race free memory arguments for the ones with LSM hooks
> at the right place). Really need both.
>
> I agree it's not easy to get tight (and also not pretty), but you have a lot
> better chance doing it this way than with ptrace.

.. And how the f*^& did you imagine that something like chrome would do that?

You need massive amounts of privileges, and it's a total disaster in
every single respect.

Stop pushing crap. No, ptrace isn't wonderful, but your LSM+auditing
idea is a billion times worse in all respects.

We can definitely fix the ptrace issue with compat system calls.

THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL YOU CAN EVER FIX LSM+AUDIT TO BE USABLE!

Stop bothering to even bring it up. It's dead, Jim.

Linus