Re: [RFC 1/3] /dev/low_mem_notify

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Tue Jan 17 2012 - 11:36:16 EST

On 01/17/2012 04:27 AM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Minchan Kim<minchan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
+static unsigned int low_mem_notify_poll(struct file *file, poll_table *wait)
+{
+ unsigned int ret = 0;
+
+ poll_wait(file,&low_mem_wait, wait);
+
+ if (atomic_read(&nr_low_mem) != 0) {
+ ret = POLLIN;
+ atomic_set(&nr_low_mem, 0);
+ }
+
+ return ret;
+}

Doesn't this mean that only one application will receive the notification?

One at a time, which could be a good thing since the last
thing we want to do when the system is under memory
pressure is create a thundering herd.

OTOH, we do need to ensure that programs take turns getting
the memory pressure notification. I do not know whether
poll_wait automatically takes care of that...

--
All rights reversed