Re: Regulator updates for 3.3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 10 2012 - 22:22:09 EST

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Junio C Hamano <gitster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I dunno. You just scrapped the plan for 1.7.10; it may have to be called 2.0
> instead.

Btw, version numbers are cheap. I already argued for updating to 2.0
just because of the new signed tag pulling, which I think is a much
bigger issue.

I don't think a small change like "start the editor by default for
merge messages" is nearly as worthy of a version number. But I
wouldn't argue against it either, exactly because those major numbers
are cheap.

It took the kernel until 2.6.39 to learn that, I think git could learn
to use its major number more freely much earlier.

Linus