cpufreq userspace governor doesn't work for Intel Core 2 Gen 2 CPUs

From: Artem S. Tashkinov
Date: Sun Dec 25 2011 - 13:36:53 EST

Hello,

On my Intel Core i5 CPU with acpi-cpufreq module loaded I do this

# echo 2000000 | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

then

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
2000000
2000000
2000000
2000000

so theoretically it should work.

However i7z (http://code.google.com/p/i7z/) shows that CPU frequency is freely floating
and turbo boost gets enabled as soon as I have any discernible load, in other words
userspace CPU frequency driver doesn't work at all and it doesn't really enforce the specified
CPU frequency.

Best wishes,

Artem