Re: chroot(2) and bind mounts as non-root

From: Andrew G. Morgan
Date: Thu Dec 15 2011 - 13:55:51 EST

I'm genuinely confused whether all these concerns are valid with file
capabilities.

Consider (let's say luser is some user that I want to be active inside
the chroot, but I don't want to allow regular login to my system):

morgan> sudo su luser
luser> mkdir /tmp/chroot/
luser> chmod go-rx /tmp/chroot/
luser> exit

morgan> cat > launcher.c <<EOT
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
int ret = chroot("/tmp/chroot");
printf("chroot %s.\n", ret ? "failed" : "worked");
ret = chdir("/");
printf("chdir %s.\n", ret ? "failed" : "worked");
// Insert exec code to invoke chroot'd shell or whatever.
return ret;
}
EOT
morgan> make launcher
cc launcher.c -o launcher
morgan> mv launcher /tmp/
morgan> sudo -s
root> setcap cap_sys_chroot=ep /tmp/launcher
root> cp <files and directories needed in the chroot> /tmp/chroot/
root> su luser

luser> /tmp/launcher

The last line being something that involves luser only - ie. it gives
no user privilege away to any child it might launch. Its also the only
regular user able to chroot to this luser owned chroot (because that
directory is exclusive to that user).

Is there a need for privileged binaries within /tmp/chroot? If not,
how might they get there (without help from root, always presuming I
can prevent luser from logging in outside of this chroot'd
environment)?

Thanks

Andrew