Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the driver-core tree

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Dec 14 2011 - 12:02:14 EST

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 04:13:05PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 07:03 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > I'll remove the use of kfree in the WARN_ON(), which should solve this
> > problem.
>
> The alternative is that we introduce something like CONFIG_KREF_DEBUG
> and out-of-line the functions in that case while also adding more debug
> checks. Alexey recently proposed a refcnt.h thing that almost does what
> kref does but has different debug checks.

That might be nice to have, but the kfree check was there to catch
people who were trying to be "tricky", and they will not be running with
that debug option enabled.

I'll just remove it, and rely on the documentation and public
humiliation instead of kernel warnings to try to enforce this rule.
It's worked pretty good so far with the kobject rules :)

thanks,

greg k-h