Re: [PROBLEM] ASUS Sandybridge motherboards + PCI not working (IRQn: nobody cared)

From: Chris Palmer
Date: Wed Dec 14 2011 - 06:08:05 EST

Hi Edward
Thanks for the reply. See below...
Regards
Chris

On 14/12/2011 00:06, Edward Donovan wrote:
> Hi Chris -
>
> I will certainly take a look. I don't have the hardware,
> unfortunately. And
> this is kinda my first rodeo, kernel-wise, so don't let me sound too
> expert. :)
> Let me ask a couple questions, anyway.
>
> - Later, I'll have time to look for Andrew's message, but do you know
> -- did he
> mean a firmware ACPI bug, or a Linux bug?

He didn't say.

> - Does 2.6.38 behave the same as 3.1.5 or the other newest kernels?
> (If the
> hardware doesn't require something newer than .38.) There was an
> IRQ overhaul
> in 2.6.39, and the two bugs I fixed were regressions from that
> work. As of
> now, the bad-irq handling seems equivalent to 2.6.38, but I should
> make sure
> that goes for your problem, too.

I was on 2.6.39.2 when I purchased the motherboard, so can't personally
vouch for anything earlier. However other posters, who were on earlier
kernels, referred to the behaviour that I am now experiencing on 3.1.5 -
i.e. that the "nobody cared" fault occurs and the device then continues
to "work" but extremely slowly (from 2.6.39.2-3.1.4 it stops working
completely).