Re: printk() vs tty_io

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Dec 14 2011 - 04:48:40 EST

* Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 07:59 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > btw., would be nice to also somehow realeasify those debug
> > hacks to preserve them for eternity - doing all lockdep
> > output as earlyprintk while keeping printks working is a
> > great way to debug printk() itself.
> >
> > Those printk lockups also took a *lot* of time for me to
> > bisect.
>
> Yeah, they're horrible.. took me long enough to reproduce, and
> even now I know how its not easy.
>
> Anyway, I just posted the two patches that make lockdep do
> early_printk(), they're not too horrid. [...]

Given how crutial lockdep is to analyzing lockups, i think this
decoupling from printk() innards is a good idea in general.

[ It also rhymes well with the general principles of lockdep, to
create all of its infrastructure from scratch, to be able to
use it everywhere. ]

The small lprintk() ugliness we can live with i think.

Thanks,

Ingo