Re: kernel BUG at drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem

From: Daniel Vetter
Date: Tue Dec 13 2011 - 20:47:42 EST

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:16, Rocko Requin <rockorequin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If you can wire up netconsole you should be able to gather the full
>> backtrace and that would be really useful. Otherwise can you please
>> confirm by reverting that commit from your current tree that it is
>> indeed the culprit? Otherwise please bisect the issue.
>
> I built 3.2-rc5 with the patch from commit
> eb1711bb94991e93669c5a1b5f84f11be2d51ea1 reversed, and have been using it
> now for a day and a half without any i915_gem issues. So at this stage it
> does seem likely it is the culprit, based on the fact that I had at least 2
> and probably 3 i915_gem crashes in around 12 hours with the commit applied.
> When I get some free time I'll reapply the patch and see if I can reproduce
> the crash and get a netconsole dump.

Backtraces from another reporter seriously look like we're hitting
some ugly use-after free. Can you please test whether the patch
"drm/i915: Only clear the GPU domains upon a successful finish" by
Chris Wilson fixes anything for you? You can grab it from
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~danvet/drm/patch/?id=389a55581e30607af0fcde6cdb4e54f189cf46cf

Thanks, Daniel

--
Daniel Vetter