Re: [RFC 0/2] ABI for clock_gettime_ns

From: Richard Cochran
Date: Mon Dec 12 2011 - 22:24:16 EST

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 05:26:36PM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On x86-64, clock_gettime is so fast that the overhead converting to and
> from nanoseconds is non-negligible. clock_gettime_ns is a different
> interface that is potentially faster. If people like the ABI, I'll
> implement an optimized version.

I am not so interested in performance optimizations, but do I think
offering time in nanoseconds is attractive from an application point
of view. The timespec is impractical for everyone.

While you are at it with new syscalls, why not make a clean break from
POSIX and fix the uglies?

- New name, to distance ourselves from POSIX (clock_ns_get?)
- Family of calls, with set/get
- Sub nanosecond field
- TAI time base (or according to parameter?)

Thanks,
Richard