Re: linux-next base Linus tag

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Thu Dec 08 2011 - 16:57:54 EST

Hi Luis,

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 13:39:16 -0800 "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I know a linux-next tag, say next-20110928, how can I extract the
> Linus tag you used to start that set of merges for linux-next for?
> That is, I am assuming you base your daily linux-next merges on that
> day's latest Linus's rc cycle (not just Linus's master tag of that
> day). Is that right? If so how can I get that tag?

In each linux-next, there is a file called Next/SHA1s, and in there is a
SHA1 for "origin" - that is the point in Linus' tree that I started for
that day. I just use the latest available version of Linus' tree each
day.

> For example for next-20110928 I see in Next/quilt-import.log:

For the quilt series, the owner of the series puts a BASE or NEXT_BASE
comment in the series to tell me what their series is based on. I import
each quilt series staring from that base into a branch and then merge
that branch.

For the git trees, I just fetch and merge them.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx