Re: [rfc 3/3] prctl: Add PR_SET_MM codes to tune up mm_structentires

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Dec 08 2011 - 02:13:41 EST

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:07:24 +0400 Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The prctl(2) manpage will need to be updated. Please Cc Michael on all
> > such changes.
> >

> you mean -- Michael Kerrisk, mtk AT man7.org, right?

That isn't what ./MAINTAINERS says?

> > This is starting to add a non-trivial amount of code. Perhaps we need
> > to introduce a Kconfig variable to control such things as this, to
> > prevent bloating up kernels which aren't require to support c/r?
> >

> Dunno, Andrew. Actually I agreed that these snippets are mostly
> needed for c/r only, but the initial idea over all changes was
> to add levers into kernel which might be helpful not only
> for c/r but for someone else as well.

In each instance, a case would need to be made for that. Plus if
people later come along who want access to these things for other
purposes, they can send a patch!

There will always be people who would *prefer* that this material not
be present in their vmlinux. For those people, this patch is a
regression!