Re: Kernel version not updated on http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner

From: Alexander Holler
Date: Mon Nov 28 2011 - 13:40:53 EST

Am 07.11.2011 15:44, schrieb Justin Piszcz:
Hello,

Recently I see http://www.kernel.org/ now shows 3.1 as the latest
mainline kernel version (it was 3.1-rcX) a few days ago if I recall
even though 3.1 was released last month.
However, as stated on the homepage, for those who use this in scripts
and such, the latest version is still 3.1-rc4:

Aug 21, 2003: Please don't use finger.kernel.org for any sort of
automatic monitoring. The number of automatic bots hitting this port
is causing the finger daemon to shut down more often than not. The
same information is available from
http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner.

Just a reply as reminder for the admins. ;)

I've used that (currently broken) finger_banner too to check the latest version.

Regards,

Alexander