TCP fast retransmit

From: Esztermann, Ansgar
Date: Fri Nov 25 2011 - 05:20:49 EST

Hello list,

is there some documentation available on TCP fast retransmit? There seem to be quite a lot of descriptions -- from informal to scholarly papers -- on the various algorithms available to calculate the proper size of the congestion window, but I have been unable so far to find out *when* a fast retransmit is triggered. RFC 2581 states the third dupACK "should" do it, and this seems to be quoted fairly often. However, I can easily produce connections that fail to perform fast retransmit even after 5 dupACKs. Some people mention Linux uses a different (presumable more sophisticated) algorithm to trigger fast retransmits, but no-one seems to elaborate.

Thanks,

A.
--
Ansgar Esztermann