Re: Printk mulitple line message support

From: Joe Perches
Date: Tue Nov 15 2011 - 19:54:50 EST

On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 08:45 +0800, Huang Ying wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-15 at 10:30 +0800, Joe Perches wrote:
> > > Except dev_<level> and netdev_<level>, it appears that many general
> > > pr_<level> do not have the prefix.
> > I'm working on that.
> > There are a lot of them and it's a slog.
> What's your solution here?

Coalesce the multiple printks to a single printk
without KERN_CONT use at all.

For example: commit 94f05b0f60de32

> Fix multiline pr_<level> one by one with
> various prefix?

Yes, though I believe multiline_pr_<level>
isn't particularly valuable.

> How about lines with same prefix comes from different
> CPU?

Generally, emitting complete lines even from the same
module via multiple threads from a single or multiple
cpus can be intelligibly interleaved without issue.

I believe it's the printks that use KERN_CONT and the
printks without terminating newlines that are the
problems that need to be resolved somehow.

cheers, Joe