Re: Regression in thinkpad-acpi events

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Tue Nov 15 2011 - 18:03:30 EST

> I'm observing the same, also with Arch Linux, and a ThinkPad x60:
> # uname -a
> Linux x60 3.1.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 11 22:28:29 CET 2011
> x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> The kernel config can be found here:
> <http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/linux>.
>
> As requested:
> # grep . /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad*/*
> /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_enable:1
> /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_mask:0x008dffff
> /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_poll_freq:10
> /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_radio_sw:1
> /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_recommended_mask:0x008dffff
> /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_report_mode:1
> /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_source_mask:0x00000000

Well, the driver has connected to the firmware, and should be working. And
there were no changes to the code from v3.0 to v3.1.1. So, it is either a
bug in something else, a problematic interaction of the driver with
something else, or a latent thinkpad-acpi bug that some change elsewhere has
exposed.

Are the events reported by acpi_listen from arch-linux exactly the same in
v3.0.9 and v3.1.1 ? I know some events are missing in your v3.1.1, but I am
interested in the ones that do get reported.

Although you really should be using the input device for the hotkeys, and
not any of the 0x10xx events. Those are driver-specific and deprecated, it
is all explained in Documentation/laptops/thinkpad-acpi.txt. So, it really
might mean that you have something in userspace reading that input device
and synthesizing the ACPI HKEY events thinkpad-acpi deprecated for a long
time now. I know some distros did that instead of switching to an
input-device-based hotkey daemon. Please check for that possibility,
that daemon could be the one having problems with 3.1.1...

Henrique Holschuh