Re: [patch 1/5]thp: improve the error code path

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed Nov 09 2011 - 23:43:41 EST

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> Before after won't matter much I guess... If you really want to clean
> the code, I wonder what is exactly the point of those dummy functions
> if we can't call those outside of #ifdefs.

You can, you just need to declare the actuals that you pass to the dummy
functions for CONFIG_SYSFS=n as well. Or, convert the dummy functions to
do

#define sysfs_remove_group(kobj, grp) do {} while (0)

but good luck getting that passed Andrew :)

> I mean a cleanup that adds
> more #ifdefs when there are explicit dummy functions which I assume
> are meant to be used outside of #ifdef CONFIG_SYSFS doesn't sound so
> clean in the first place. I understand you need to refactor the code
> above to call those outside of #ifdefs but hey if you're happy with
> #ifdef I'm happy too :). It just looks fishy to read sysfs.h dummy
> functions and #ifdefs. When I wrote the code I hardly could have
> wondered about the sysfs #ifdefs but at this point it's only cleanups
> I'm seeing so I actually noticed that.

The cleaniest solution would probably be to just extract all the calls
that depend on CONFIG_SYSFS out of hugepage_init(), call it
hugepage_sysfs_init(), and then return a failure code if it fails to setup
then do the error handling there. hugepage_sysfs_init() would be defined
right after the attributes are defined.