Re: [patch 1/5]thp: improve the error code path

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Wed Nov 09 2011 - 21:59:17 EST

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:33:15AM +0800, Shaohua Li wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 10:18 +0800, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > Hi Shaohua,

> > hugepage_attr_group is defined even if CONFIG_SYSFS is not set and I
> > just made a build with CONFIG_SYSFS=n and it builds just fine without
> > any change.
>
> > $ grep CONFIG_SYSFS .config
> > # CONFIG_SYSFS is not set
> >
> > So we can drop 1/5 above.
> this isn't the case in the code. And the code uses hugepage_attr_group
> is already within CONFIG_SYSFS, so your build success.

I thought it was related to a SYSFS=n build failure, so when I
verified it build just fine I didn't really see the point of messing
with sysfs adding more #ifdefs but I see you want to avoid leaking
those two entries if the allocation doesn't succeed.

If the later allocations don't succeed we can panic() and be done with
it. Adding more code will just grow the zImage a bit, but I can
appreciate the more theoretical correctness so I'm ok with it now that
I see the point of it.