Re: write_cache_pages inefficiency

From: Jan Kara
Date: Wed Nov 09 2011 - 11:45:42 EST

On Sun 06-11-11 16:48:33, Phillip Susi wrote:

> I've read over write_cache_pages() in page-writeback.c, and related
> writepages() functions, and it seems to me that it suffers from a
> performance problem whenever an fsync is done on a file and some of
> its pages have already begun writeback. The comment in the code says:
>
> * If a page is already under I/O, write_cache_pages() skips it, even
> * if it's dirty. This is desirable behaviour for memory-cleaning
> writeback,
> * but it is INCORRECT for data-integrity system calls such as
> fsync(). fsync()
> * and msync() need to guarantee that all the data which was dirty at
> the time
> * the call was made get new I/O started against them. If
> wbc->sync_mode is
> * WB_SYNC_ALL then we were called for data integrity and we must wait for
> * existing IO to complete.
>
> Based on this, I would expect the function to wait for an existing
> write to complete only if the page is also dirty. Instead, it waits
> for existing page writes to complete regardless of the dirty bit.
Are you sure? I can see in the code:
lock_page(page);
if (unlikely(page->mapping != mapping)) {
continue_unlock:
unlock_page(page);
continue;
}
if (!PageDirty(page)) {
/* someone wrote it for us */
goto continue_unlock;
}
if (PageWriteback(page)) {
if (wbc->sync_mode != WB_SYNC_NONE)
wait_on_page_writeback(page);
else
goto continue_unlock;
}
So we skip clean pages...

> Additionally, it does each wait serially, so if you are trying to
> fsync 1000 dirty pages, and the first 10 are already being written
> out, the thread will block on each of those 10 pages write completion
> before it begins queuing any new writes.
Yes, this is correct.

> Instead, shouldn't it go ahead and initiate pagewrite on all pages not
> already being written, and then come back and wait on those that were
> already in flight to complete, then initiate a second write on them if
> they are dirty?
Well, if you can *demonstrate* with real numbers it has performance benefit
we could do it. But it's not clear there will be any benefit - skipping
pages which need writing can introduce additional seeks to the IO stream
and that is costly - sometimes much more costly than just waiting for IO to
complete...

Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>