Re: copy_*_user

From: AmÃrico Wang
Date: Sat Oct 22 2011 - 22:50:21 EST

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 1:06 AM, Xin Tong <xerox.time.tech@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am investigating copy_from_user Âand copy_to_user in linux under
> i386. These two function both take a pointer with virtual address and
> a pointer with physical address.
>
> copy_from_user calls __copy_from_user_ll and copy_to_user Âcalls
> __copy_to_user_ll. It make sense to me that __copy_to_user_ll converts
> the virtual address to physical address using the current process's
> page table.

[...]
> But it seems to be that __copy_from_user_ll Âis not converted the
> address at all before attempting to copy. Can someone help explain to
> me why ?

You missed that __copy_to_user_ll() only does that when CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK
is not defined. And there is a comment right inside __copy_to_user_ll() said:

/*
* CPU does not honor the WP bit when writing
* from supervisory mode, and due to preemption or SMP,
* the page tables can change at any time.
* Do it manually. Manfred <manfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*/

this is why it uses kmap_atomic()+memcpy() to copy the data.

Also, all the addresses are virtual address.