Re: [patch 5/5] elf: Add support for loading ET_CKPT files

From: Glauber Costa
Date: Fri Oct 21 2011 - 07:21:52 EST

On 10/21/2011 03:20 PM, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 03:06:12PM +0400, Glauber Costa wrote:
exec() is a fundamental interface to the kernel, and the change
proposed here is too disruptive. Not only that, it is rather
unannounced: since not always one knows kind of fmt file is being
exec'd, it gets hard to infer which behavior to expect.

This missed snipped in changelog indeed my very fault, sorry for that.

I am wondering, though: if exec is a problem, but the binary handler
is not, maybe we can exec a process using this handler, and then
have the handler itself to create the thread hierarchy. This way we
avoid changing exec() behavior at all, yet achieving the same
results.

What do you think?

Glauber, could you please elaborate, you mean to call for forks inside
elf-chkpt handler, right? Or you mean something else?

not fork(), clone().