Re: Module rtl8192cu (Upstream kernel bug)

From: Larry Finger
Date: Thu Oct 20 2011 - 23:52:15 EST

On 10/20/2011 03:19 PM, Thor Malmjursson wrote:
Hi. My name is Thor Malmjursson, I'm on the Kubuntu 11.10 OS, and I've
discovered a bug with a kernel driver module which may need some attention. The
main details of the bug are here:

The issue is with the rtl8192cu kernel module, released in the 3.0 series of
kernels, which we only got for the first time with our distro upgrade about 6
days ago. I have a USB WiFi adapter which should work with that module, and it
actually associates with it when I plug it into the PC - the problem is, the
device is immediately locking open and refusing to scan, either automatically or
manually.

It's a wireless adapter made by Texet, with the USBID 0BDA:8176

The only way I've been able to get the device to function is through
ndiswrapper, but native support would be much better.

As all the information you would need (i assume) is present on the bug report I
listed above, I will leave this with you.

I trust you will be able to help me with this.

I tried to post on the Ubuntu bugzilla, but the response was really slow and I gave up there.

The dmesg output you posted there involved using ndiswrapper, thus I did not see if the device was able to load the firmware. The specific file for that device is /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin. It is part of a kernel firmware package. I do not know what Ubuntu calls it.

Larry