Re: Linux 3.1-rc9

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Oct 17 2011 - 14:51:05 EST

* Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > That simple time type could then trickle down as well: we could
> > use it everywhere in kernel code and limit the hodge-podge of ABI
> > time units to the syscall boundary. (and convert the internal
> > time unit to whatever ABI unit there is close to the syscall
> > boundary)
> >
> > There's a point where micro-optimized 32-bit support related
> > maintenance overhead (and the resulting loss of
> > robustness/flexibility) becomes too expensive IMO.
>
> That's not a micro optimization, it's a massive performance hit if
> you force those 32bit archs to do 64/32 all over the place.

Do we have some hard data on this, which we could put into comments
in include/linux/ktime.h and such? Older versions of GCC used to do a
bad job of long long handling on 32-bit systems - that might be a
factor in the performance figures.

But i suspect you are right that the cost is still very much there

Thanks,

Ingo