Re: [patch] trace: cleanup: make some types unsigned

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri Oct 07 2011 - 09:38:54 EST

On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 16:27 +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> The problem here is that I'm trying to silence a static checker
> warning. In replace_preds() we cap n_preds at MAX_FILTER_PRED but
> we don't check for negative values. It can't actually be negative
> values, but the static checkers get confused.

I really hate to uglify code for the sake of static checkers.

This code may change in the near future, and the possibility that
n_preds may become a possibility. Perhaps we should add a:

WARN_ON(n_preds < 0);

If in the future the count_preds() changes and incorrectly produces a
negative number, or perhaps even overflows int, we wont catch it with
unsigned.

-- Steve