Re: Problem with AMD chipsets. Was "Re: problems doing direct dmafrom a pci device to pci-e device"

From: Mark Hounschell
Date: Fri Sep 30 2011 - 06:08:55 EST

On 09/30/2011 04:46 AM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
Mark Hounschell wrote:
We have no problem with this same configuration using a MB with an
nvidia chipset. I suspect it might have something to do with the the MB
that usines the AMD chipset having an IOMMU, but I really don't know for
sure. I've also read something in the AMD chipset docs about some type
of restrictions on peer to peer transfers but again I really have no
idea if this is related to why I'm having this problem.

According to the published RS780 docs, "P2P traffic could be only memory
writes" (RPR 2.7). In any case, check the P2P bits (MISC is described
in BDG 2.4).

I wonder what they expect you to get out of "P2P traffic _could_ be only memory writes" Does that mean it _can_ be configured as "P2P traffic is enabled for only writes"? In any case I can do neither reads or writes.

As for the MISC bits described in the BDG, it appears that by default all the P2PDIS bits will be set to 0. Are there tools that would enable me to look at these bits and even change them if they are set. Would these bits normally be set/reset by the BIOS or the OS?

I previously asked about this problem on the AMD developers forum but got no response.

Thanks
Mark