Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the akpm tree

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Sep 30 2011 - 02:01:24 EST

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:32:55 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> After merging the akpm tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
> failed like this:
>
> In file included from arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h:575:0,
> from include/net/checksum.h:25,
> from include/linux/skbuff.h:28,
> from include/linux/icmpv6.h:82,
> from net/compat.c:19:
> In function 'copy_from_user',
> inlined from 'compat_sys_socketcall' at net/compat.c:793:20:
> arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess_64.h:64:26: error: call to 'copy_from_user_overflow' declared with attribute error: copy_from_user() buffer size is not provably correct
>
> Caused by commit 15e19cbbbf2a ("x86: implement strict user copy checks
> for x86_64") when built with gcc 4.6.0. This does not fail when built
> with 4.5.2.

This:

extern void copy_from_user_overflow(void)
#ifdef CONFIG_DEBUG_STRICT_USER_COPY_CHECKS
__compiletime_error("copy_from_user() buffer size is not provably correct")
#else
__compiletime_warning("copy_from_user() buffer size is not provably correct")
#endif

presumably CONFIG_DEBUG_STRICT_USER_COPY_CHECKS=y, so it's doing what
we asked it to do.

> The problem here is that the length parameter to copy_from_user() is
> obtained by indexing into an array of sizes. Making the array const
> does not help (obviously, since the index is not known at compile time
> anyway).
>
> Maybe I need a newer compiler. For today I have gone back to my 4.5.2
> compiler.

That patch is a PITA. I've been waiting for some saviour to come along
and fix all the warnings it emits before proceeding with it. As I am
apparently saviourless I shall hide that patch from the mm->linux-next
drop, so only I get to suffer its effects.