Samsung Series 9 seems to require acpi=nonvs to resume properly

From: Zan Lynx
Date: Thu Sep 29 2011 - 17:07:27 EST

After being annoyed that the latest Fedora 2.6.40 (aka 3.0 something)
kernels would not suspend/resume on my laptop I followed a Ubuntu forum
suggestion to use acpi=nonvs. This worked, or at least it is working
today with Fedora 15's 2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64.

The system is also booting via UEFI if that makes any difference.

I understand that there is a no-NVS blacklist in the kernel. Should the
Samsung Series 9 be added to this list? Or could it be a different
suspend/resume problem entirely? I ask because resume used to work with
the 2.6.39 kernels, although it was flaky and would sometimes lock up.

This seems to be the necessary information for the blacklist, taken from dmidecode:

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
Product Name: 90X3A
Version: 0.1
Serial Number: CZPR93GB301834
UUID: 249F9300-1DD2-11B2-8000-89C120F0C461
Wake-up Type: APM Timer
SKU Number: System SKUNumber
Family: HuronRiver System

I can make this into a patch if necessary (drivers/acpi/sleep.c,
right?). I am not /entirely/ sure it is the correct fix.

--
Knowledge Is Power
Power Corrupts