Re: linux-next: manual merge of the arm-soc tree with the arm tree

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue Sep 27 2011 - 11:25:09 EST

On Tuesday 27 September 2011, Russell King wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:25:24AM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi Arnd,
> >
> > [I have a feeling that I may have reported this previously]
> >
> > Today's linux-next merge of the arm-soc tree got a conflict in
> > arch/arm/mm/dma-mapping.c between commit e73fc88e19d7 ("ARM: 7059/1:
> > LPAE: Use PMD_(SHIFT|SIZE|MASK) instead of PGDIR_*") from the arm tree
> > and commit 99d1717dd7fe ("ARM: Add init_consistent_dma_size()") from the
> > arm-soc tree.
> >
> > I fixed it up (I think - see below) and can carry the fix as necessary.

Ok, looks good.

> This has happened because I've dropped a large chunk of my tree from the
> for-next branch due to some horrible conflicts and some bad workflow
> practice in a git tree I recently merged (so this merge which I'd
> normally do has been exposed.)

Since we have a few conflicts already, I think I'll wait for your
tree to go in first and then send my pull requests with the proper
fixups. I could already pull in some branches that I know I will
have to wait for.

Do you generally send one pull request for each branch you have
in the for-next branch, or do you send a single request for something
that roughly resembles the for-next branch at the time of the merge
window?

Arnd