Re: Regression: i915 blank issue on kernel 3.1.0-rc3

From: Woody Suwalski
Date: Sun Sep 25 2011 - 09:16:13 EST

Keith Packard wrote:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 19:02:05 -0400, Woody Suwalski<terraluna977@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Chris, I do not know if it is i915 driver or X'drm or what..
Problem exists on 3.1.0, no problem on 3.0.3
Any way you could narrow it down a bit more? A bisect should sort it out
pretty quickly, given that you've got working code in 3.0 and
not-working code in 3.1-rc. You can start by manually bisecting across the
3.1 release candidates, and then narrow it down from there by bisecting
only across the drivers/gpu/drm/i915 directory.
Yes, I have narrowed it down. I did not run bisect, as it takes me 4hrs for kernel build on Eeepc...

The problem has appeared in 3.1-rc3, it is a regression.
I have tested -rc1 and -rc2, they are OK ( not that there was much activity regarding i915 in -rc2). The problem is still present in -rc7.

I see these entries in the changelog, these are Keith's additions to -rc3 which maight impact the blanker:

Keith Packard (6):
drm/i915: Wait for LVDS panel power sequence
drm/i915: Leave LVDS registers unlocked
drm/i915: Fix PCH port pipe select in CPT disable paths
drm/i915: Remove unused 'reg' argument to dp_pipe_enabled
drm/i915: Can't do accurate vblank timestamps with UMS
drm/i915: Cannot set clock gating under UMS

I can do a fast incremental rebuild of my current -rc3 tree, if Keith could send me some patches...

Thanks, Woody