Re: Seems the comment of find_next_system_ram() is not exact

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Sun Sep 25 2011 - 05:42:29 EST

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 09:40:52PM +0800, Wizard wrote:
> Hi, Experts
>
> I am a newbie for linux kernel. I just read the code of
> find_next_system_ram() in kernel/resource.c
>
> I think the comment of this function is not exact. This says "Finds
> the lowest memory reosurce exists within [res->start.res->end)".
>
> While I think the code is to find the lowest memory resource overlaps
> [res->start, res->end).
>
> 308: if ((p->end >= start) && (p->start < end))
>
> If I am not correct, please let me know. :)

Right,

hint for the future, do a "git annotate" on the file containing that
code - the patch adding the piece of code might (err, and should!) have
a verbose commit message explaining the situation. And it seems it does
have something to a degree, here's another hint:

58c1b5b079071

:-)

But I agree that the comment over the function could use some more
verbosity on why the function needs to handle overlapping resources and
sections. Let's ask the author.

> BTW, I find the "reosurce" is a typo.

Yes, he could fix it while explaining the overlap :-).

HTH.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.