Re: çå: çå: çå: 3.1-rc6+ rtl8192se issue

From: Larry Finger
Date: Fri Sep 23 2011 - 09:50:42 EST

On 09/23/2011 05:33 AM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 06:21:07PM +0800, æææ wrote:
Please set ips =0 and try again..

What does that mean?

I can trigger the grinding-to-a-halt reliably with "ips=0" - it only
takes a couple of hours of network traffic. Also, I don't want to try
the driver you sent me because the version in the kernel needs fixing
not some out-of-tree codebase.

Does the likelihood of the failure change when "ips=0" is used?

The Realtek group made several changes in the driver that Chaoming sent you that have not yet been incorporated in the kernel version. If you test that driver, we might learn if any of them are important to your problem. As neither of us can duplicate your results, it is not possible for us to do those tests.

I agree that we want to fix the kernel version. It is unfortunate that Realtek does not generate their improvements as patches to that kernel version, and publish them that way, but that is a fact of life. When they produce a new version, I have to look at the diff file between it and the previous version and test those differences with my devices. Thus far, there have been no changes that have any effect on my system, but who knows on yours. Please run the test as Chaoming asked you to do.

Thanks,

Larry