Re: Questions for dummy codec driver

From: Leo Yan
Date: Wed Sep 21 2011 - 21:41:36 EST

On 09/21/2011 08:56 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:23:18AM +0800, Leo Yan wrote:

I have a question for the dummy codec.

Don't start new threads by randomly replying to unrelated mails.

Sorry for that :-), the alsa-devel is the unrelated mailing list, right?
if so, i will note for that later.

As you know, sometimes maybe we only need set the timing from the
processor, and codec just only need tx/rx data; So there do not need
the codec driver.

Even a dumb CODEC will have some constraints on things like the sample
rates it can support which need to be conveyed to the framework and
ideally the audio routing out of the CODEC should be visible for
integration with any external output drivers or similar.

Get it.

On our platform, there have some devices (like hdmi/bt) do not need config from the CODEC driver, they have their own s/w stack and interface to configure; for the audio driver, just need to set the I2S/PCM timing for them. So if there have a common dummy codec driver, then it can meet our requirement well. Otherwise, there will have some duplicate codes for these dummy codecs.

After browser the code, there have NO such a dummy codec driver; and
for soc-core, there have not such flags to support this situation.
Only what i get is sound/soc/codecs/spdif_transciever.c, but it's
specific for TI's DaVinci platform.

Not at all, what makes you believe that it is platform specific?