Re: HighPoint RocketRaid 620 vs. RocketRaid 640 -- supported?

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Wed Sep 21 2011 - 07:28:29 EST

Hi,

Incase anyone is wondering the same thing, I contacted Highpoint and they said (confirmed) the 620 support (which I am using now) is built-in to the kernel and the 640 is not, so unless you like compiling kernel modules/out of tree drivers for a _boot_ volume and want a regular SATA 6.0gbps controller that supports TRIM, I'd go for the 620 even though it maxes out around 390-420MiB/s read where a real SAS controller supports 490-500MiB/s for an Intel 510 SSD, but remember, SAS controllers (at least the one I tested with does not support TRIM and there is no Intel SSD optimizer for Linux.

Justin.