Re: stable patch queues and submission

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Fri Sep 16 2011 - 14:35:32 EST

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 08:23:50PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > With kernel.org being down, the stable@xxxxxxxxxx list is no longer
> > working. This leaves me wondering if we should send patches directly to
> > the various stable tree maintainers with [stable] in the prefix and
> > linux-kernel CC'd, or if the stable queues are even being maintained
> > during the outage.
>
> No, please do not, unless you need something "special", and even then,
> please cc: lkml and the developers so it's not lost.
>
> > Does anyone have a preference or suggestion on how to continue stable
> > releases until the list comes back? (I'm assuming 'wait' isn't really a
> > best all around option.)
>
> Wait and continue to add the marking to your patches, my scripts are
> still running and pulling the patches out and they are going into the
> stable queue just fine. The queue just isn't public at the moment due
> to kernel.org being out.

I was thinking about an alternative if that can help. If the mails are
sent to our addresses followed by "+stable", they're easy to filter out
to another mailbox (eg: "willy+stable@xxxxxx").

But there are a number of other reviewers on stable@xxx who provide a
lot of value with their reviews, and not having them check the patches
could easily lead to some nasty patches leaking into stable.

Regards,
Willy