Re: Improve lseek scalability v3

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Fri Sep 16 2011 - 09:00:59 EST

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 04:06:46PM -0700, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Currently generic_file_llseek users synchronize all on the inode i_mutex,
> which is very heavy handed because it affects even different processes.
>
> This patchkit attempts to make generic_file_llseek (mostly) lockless.

Yes, but, are there any real workloads which care? I know will-it-scale
says that lseek doesn't scale, but any real app which has a seek-heavy
workload is surely using pread()/pwrite() by now ... after all, they
were in UNIX98 so they've been a standard for 13 years.

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."