Re: CFS Bandwidth Control - Test results of cgroups tasks pinnedvs unpinnede

From: Paul Turner
Date: Fri Sep 16 2011 - 04:14:41 EST

On 09/13/11 11:23, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 23:31 +0530, Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:
* Peter Zijlstra<a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> [2011-09-13 16:19:39]:

Booting with "nohz=off" also helps significantly.

With nohz=on, average idle time (over 1 min) is 10.3%
With nohz=off, average idle time (over 1 min) is 3.9%

I think more compelling here is that it looks like nohz load-balance needs more love.

So we should put the cpufreq/idle governor into the nohz/idle path, it
already tries to predict the idle duration in order to pick a C state,
that same prediction should be used to determine if stopping the tick is
worth it.

Hmm ..I tried performance governor and found that it slightly increases
idle time.

With nohz=off&& ondemand governor, idle time = 4%
With nohz=off&& performance governor on all cpus, idle time = 6%

I can't see obvious reasons for that ..afaict bandwidth capping should
be independent of frequency (i.e task gets capped by "used" time,
irrespective of frequency at which it was "using" the cpu)?

That's not what I said.. what I said is that the nohz code should also
use the idle time prognosis.. disabling the tick is a costly operation,
doing it only to have to undo it costs time, and will be accounted to
idle time, hence your improvement with nohz=off.

Enabling Venki's CONFIG_IRQ_TIME_ACCOUNTING=y would discount to provide a definitive answer here yes?

- Paul