Re: Why I want PTRACE_O_TRACESTOP option

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Fri Sep 09 2011 - 12:18:23 EST

On 09/09, Tejun Heo wrote:

> To me, the rationale presented here almost argues against
> PTRACE_O_TRACESTOP. :(

Personally I dislike PTRACE_O_TRACESTOP too.

And once again, this needs more (nontrivial) changes than just
s/PT_SEIZED/PTRACE_O_TRACESTOP/, the patch was wrong.

And, just for example. While this is minor, I'd like to improve
the error codes from ptrace_check_attach(). Until we drop
PTRACE_SEIZE_DEVEL we can safely do this. I don't think it makes
sense to add the new PTRACE_O for this.

And finally, I simply do not understand how it can be useful.

Oleg.