RE: sata_mv port lockup on hotplug (kernel 2.6.38.2)

From: Bruce Stenning
Date: Tue Sep 06 2011 - 10:40:53 EST

I wrote:
> Is it attempting to wake the scsi_eh_3 thread while scsi_error_handler
> is still processing an EH, which then calls scsi_restart_operations and
> puts the scsi_eh_3 thread back to sleep again?

It does look to me as if there is a potential race between the scsi_eh thread
and the wake-up mechanism.

host_eh_scheduled is read here in scsi_error_handler:

set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE);
while (!kthread_should_stop()) {
if ((shost->host_failed == 0 && shost->host_eh_scheduled == 0) ||

For scheduling an EH, scsi_schedule_eh takes the shost->host_lock, increments
shost->host_eh_scheduled, and then wakes the EH thread. If this happens
between the scsi_eh thread reading host_eh_scheduled and sending itself to
sleep, then nothing will wake up the thread and host_eh_scheduled will not
be inspected again.

Is there some mechanism that I've missed to prevent this from happening?

Bruce.

Latest News at: http://www.indigovision.com/index.php/en/news.html