Re: Kernel 3.1.0-rc4 oops when connecting iPod

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Date: Sat Sep 03 2011 - 02:57:40 EST

--- On Sat, 3/9/11, Pavel Ivanov <paivanof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 11:59 PM,
> Hin-Tak Leung <hintak_leung@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >> With kernel 3.1.0-rc4 any attempt to connect iPod
> to USB
> >> leads to
> >> kernel oops. I'd say that stacktrace of the oops
> is pretty
> >> much random
> >> and not related to HFS. But I was able to get
> useful info
> >> from it when
> >> I recompiled with CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG_ON=y. In this
> case I
> >> don't get
> >> oops but the following instead:
> >
> > There are a few hfsplus related changes to do
> protection against invalid data like this, but may be there
> are more. It would be useful to have the output from your
> > objdump -l -d hfsplus.ko | grep  -A 1000
> '<hfsplus_fill_super>'
> > (the -l gives line numbers against the kernel tree, so
> would be useful if you run this against the ko there...)
>
> Output of this command is in attachment.

That's interesting. You said "hfs: filesystem size too large." always appears twice (with kernel 3.1-rc4) before it oops. And in your 2.6.38.11 kernel, you had "hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock" twice.

The oops place is the "kfree(sbi->s_backup_vhdr)" in line 529 in fs/hfsplus/super.c:

527: out_free_vhdr:
528: kfree(sbi->s_vhdr);
529: kfree(sbi->s_backup_vhdr);

It would appear the s_backup_vhdr is somehow garbage but that was not caught in the 3.1-rc4 version of hfsplus_read_wrapper() ; it was caught by the 2.6.38.11 version of hfsplus_read_wrapper(). hfsplus_read_wrapper() was changed in the 2.6.39/3.0 time frame by this:

commit 52399b171dfaea02b6944cd6feba49b624147126