Re: Fw: RCU boot debug patch

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Wed Jul 27 2011 - 19:56:46 EST

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 17:47, <kernelmail.jms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>A debug patch to verify if there is RCU callbacks before the rcu scheduler is active
> So something gives me the impression we may have an answer somewhere in this dmesg for this... ;-)
>
> Here is my dmesg (the whole thing):
>
> function free_object_rcu
> [ Â Â0.166707] RCU scheduler is not active yet, Calling _call_rcu() with this function free_object_rcu
> [....thousands of lines snipped...]
> [ Â Â0.225223] RCU scheduler is not active yet, Calling _call_rcu() with this function free_object_rcu

Well this looks an awful lot like a smoking gun here...

I can only find one function called "free_object_rcu", and it seems to be a
static function in mm/kmemleak.c, and it certainly does this:
call_rcu(&object->rcu, free_object_rcu);

So the next question for you would be: Do all the messages go away if you
turn off the kmemleak config option?

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett