IPSec Questions

From: T C
Date: Wed Jul 27 2011 - 18:02:06 EST

Hi all,

I have some questions on how ipsec logic works in kernel. There might be
a difference between when XFRM was introduced and prior. If possible,
I like to know both scenarios. If not, at least from XFRM perspective would
be most helpful.

Specifically, I am interested in knowing how does ipsec obtain the initial keys
from IKE exchange (and thus from XFRM) to set up the SA. Also what happens
during rekeying? Does the SA have to be terminated first, or somehow it can be
rekey'ed and continue as the same SA?

Function calls and if possible some flow graphs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry