Re: [GIT PULL] Native Linux KVM tool for 3.1

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Jul 25 2011 - 11:05:41 EST

On 07/25/2011 04:10 PM, Joerg Roedel wrote:
> That actually makes a ton of sense. One immediate win would be that
> klibc can be tuned to the kernel it ships with (the dynamic loader will
> pick the correct object), so less #ifdef trees. Another would be to
> make klibc the formal kernel interface, which allows us to reimplement
> an older interface in terms of the one that supercedes it.

A libc in the kernel tree would indeed make a lot of sense and I am all
for it :) It would also help to get new interfaces to the users faster.
But it should probably not be the primary exported interface. This would
just move the compatability problem from the kernel into user-space.

It's a better place for it, IMO. For example, if we dump xnotify in favour of ynotify, we can implement xnotify using ynotify in klibc, and so avoid increasing the kernel's footprint. As another example, there's an OS that implements its 32-bit ABI in userspace.

(of course that only works for new interfaces; the old ones have to be implemented in the kernel unless we thunk them somehow)