Re: [GIT PULL] sound updates for 3.1-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Jul 23 2011 - 14:06:46 EST

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> As you can see below, the diffstat shows awfully huge numbers.  It's
> mainly the reworks of two HD-audio drivers after I finally had some
> spare time and a gut to face them.  Most of LOCs there are due to code
> split, but also a significant amount of code reduction has been done,
> too.  In addition, as usual, many ASoC fixes/updates have been applied
> in this cycle, too.

So wrt that whole HDA thing, can somebody explain what the difference
between a "patch" and a "quirk" is? It looks like the "quirks" are
smaller patches (they all seem to be about realtek, at least
currently).

And does it really make sense to use #include to get the *.c files?
Wouldn't it be much nicer to have a "realtek" subdirectory and link
those together.

I don't care deeply, but the whole HDA source organization is getting
pretty darn ugly, I have to say.

Linus