Re: 2.6.39, 3.0.0-rc7+: complete system freeze with rsync on big directory

From: Michael Brade
Date: Thu Jul 21 2011 - 14:13:20 EST

Hi Lars,

> > Any ideas how to debug this despite the freeze? Do you need my kernel
> > config? Do you need any other info? Please CC me.
>
> Could you try to capture the log via serial console?
> (linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt)

Hm. I don't have a serial port on my laptop and I don't have a USB dongle, so
I don't know how to do this. And really, when it freezes, everything freezes.
Even the HDD light just stops right where it is - either on of off all the
time. None of the buttons work anymore, the CPU fan keeps going the speed it
had before, no network responses anymore. Only holding the power button for 4
seconds switches it off.

But watching the normal console I get loads of

r8169 0000:13:00.0: eth0: link up
r8169 0000:13:00.0: eth0: link up
[...]

one message about every 1-2 seconds while rsync is running on 2.6.37.6.

On 2.6.39 and 3.0.0-rc7 I get about 2-3 of those per second - until it
freezes. The source partition is iSCSI so it does use the net.

> What kind of disks/controller/driver do you use?

Source HD is iSCSI over ethernet. I am using open-iscsi on the client.

Dest HD is on the laptop:
block device: bus = scsi, bus_id = 0:0:0:0 driver = sd
model = WDC WD5000BEKT-7
Driver: "ahci", "sd"
SATA controller

lspci:

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 6 port
SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)
13:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI
Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

I guess my .config could also be helpful - if so, do you need all of it, part
of it, and how should I post this? Attach it packed with 7z?

cheers,
Michael