Re: AVX "Sandy Bridge" hardware issue?

From: MK
Date: Fri Jul 15 2011 - 09:11:35 EST

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:49:35 -0700
Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If there's a problem then it's likely in the VM. Maybe it leaks
> AVX partially through only.
>
> For example I had a similar problem a long time ago on a system
> which had inconsistent CPU features for different CPUs. The kernel
> will chose the least common denominator, but an application
> directly calling CPUID can sometimes see different flags and then
> crash when it switches CPUs.
>
> The symptoms would be consistent with that.
>
> I would contact the VM vendor.

I think I will go the developer list for openVZ first and get some more
info. The vendor is trepidatious as no one else has had a problem (I
dunno how many, if any, of the other clients use mod_perl) and this
could be an unsolvable headache headache for them.

Thanks all for the input!

--
"Enthusiasm is not the enemy of the intellect." (said of Irving Howe)
"The angel of history[...]is turned toward the past." (Walter Benjamin)