best way to handle multi-line kernel messages

From: david
Date: Wed Jul 13 2011 - 20:30:26 EST

a query was made on the rsyslog mailing list about the possibility of rsyslog handling kernel messages better. Currently each line of logs is a separate log entry (and as log entries traverse networks there are thigns taht can cause them to get re-ordered). It would be nice to be able to combine multi-line logs into one log entry.

The problem is figuring out how to tell when one log entry finishes and the next starts.

From examining logs it looks like follow-up lines are frequently (but not
always) indented with some form of whitespace (this indentation taking place after the timestamp if that's enabled)

but this is not consistantly the case.

I suspect that there is not currently any good way for something to really tell when one log entry has finished and another is starting, but I wanted to ask here if there is anything that I should be able to rely on (with the thought that fixing log messages that don't work that way coudl be somethign for -janitors or newbes to work on)

or is this a completely hopeless task that people receiving logs should not even try to do?

David Lang