Re: [ patch 00/21 ] support multiple, pending ddebugs at kernel-boot

From: Bart Van Assche
Date: Mon Jul 11 2011 - 14:30:52 EST

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> This patchset extends dynamic-debug facility to allow
>> use of pr_debug() within a loadable module's module_init()
>> function.  Query/rules can be given on the boot-line,
>> and are saved to a pending list if they cannot be applied
>> immediately.  Later, when the module is being loaded, the
>> pending list is scanned, and matching rules are applied.
>> Thus pr_debug() calls in the module's initialization function
>> are active when it is invoked.
>>

>> Changes since rev1:
>>
>> - rebased on top of Jasons & Joes patchset
>> - fixed accidental unescape removal, noted by Bart
>> - trim src-path patch checks for matching prefix before trimming
>>  should now work for out-of-tree modules.
>> - undid verbose newline-strip in exec-queries - Bart
>> - verbose param 644, not 744 - Bart, Greg
>> - whitespace - Bart
>> - added 'a' flag - Jason, Bart
>> - drop pending_max - Bart

As far as I can see with v2 of this patch set a query gets on the
pending list if either +a has been specified or no matches were found
the first time a query is run. Are both mechanisms necessary ? If not,
I propose to leave out the second. That will not only allow to
simplify the code somewhat but will also reduce confusion for
dynamic_printk users.

Bart.