Re: ketchup script and 3.0

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Tue Jun 07 2011 - 16:10:43 EST

On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 22:48 +0300, Stratos Psomadakis wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 03:53 PM, Matt Mackall wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 08:40 +0100, Frank Kingswood wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> With Linux 3.0 approaching rapidly, is the ketchup script known to work?
> >> It has this tempting <ver> parameter but I've always passed in "2.6" there.
> > It's on its third maintainer now and I've already forgotten the name of
> > the new guy.
> It's me :P
>
> I uploaded the ketchup code at github, and added some code to handle 3.x
> versions, but I've not tested it very much, so it's still in a separate
> branch. [1]
> You can check it out/test it, if you want. If it works without problems,
> when linux-3.0 gets released, I'll tag a new version of ketchup and
> notify distro maintainers to upgrade their packages.

I took a brief glance at your changes. You'll probably want to teach it
that 2.6.39++ == 3.0 so that people can seamlessly move back and forth
between the two ranges. This wasn't something that made sense across the
2.4/2.6 transition.

Oh, wait, maybe I've spotted the code for this.

Thinking ahead just a bit, it'd be nice if we could just declare in
advance that 3.9++ == 4.0. If we're going to bump the major number at
arbitrary points, that's the most obvious one. It's approximately 3
years out at the current rate which seems like a good pace. Then tools
like ketchup and other tools that handle these version numbers could
just do all this once.

Linus?