Re: Linux 3.0-rc2

From: Tony Luck
Date: Tue Jun 07 2011 - 14:13:15 EST

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Tarkan Erimer <tarkan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I always use tarballs instead of git. Because; I have several Linux boxes
> and just one time I download the kernel tarball then spreading it with scp
> to other Linux boxes easily. Otherwise, I have to prepare a tarball by
> myself to distribute it which is a time waste and unpractical. Also, getting
> the whole 700-800 MB of kernel tree with git is not very Internet bandwidth
> (Consider that in some ISPs and countries, Internet usage is limited by
> monthly quotas.) friendly.

If you maintain a git tree, then at each release you will only need to pull a
small amount (the git delta from the last time you pulled). It is then quite
simple to make your own tarball to copy around your machines with:

$ git archive --format=tar --prefix=linux/ v3.0-rc2 | gzip > v3.0-rc2.tgz

So you have a one time large bandwidth investment to do the initial
git clone, and then much less traffic for each update.

-Tony