Re: [debug patch] printk: Add a printk killswitch to robustify NMIwatchdog messages

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Jun 06 2011 - 11:52:57 EST

* Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Needs more staring at, preferably by someone who actually
> understands that horrid mess :/ Also, this all still doesn't make
> printk() work reliably while holding rq->lock.

So, what about my suggestion to just *remove* the wakeup from there
and use the deferred wakeup mechanism that klogd uses.

That would make printk() *visibly* more robust in practice.

[ It would also open up the way to possibly make printk() NMI entry
safe - currently we lock up if we printk in an NMI or #MC context
that happens to nest inside a printk(). ]

Thanks,

Ingo